Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Rockets Red Glare

I haven't written in a few days. Didn't really have much to say. But..... this past weekend was the third itteration of the Red Glare rocket launch with the boys at MDRA. I took off friday (claimed that it was a religious holiday) and flew my rockets.

The first one I launched, Jalapeno, was on an Aerotech I-211. I should have used a bigger motor because it was underpowered. It was a nice flight, but as always, not high enough.

Next, I launched Miss Sweden on a G-67 Redline for another spectacular flight. I checked my camera and I noticed that I got a nice shot of that. Will have to upload that.

On Saturday, I intended to launch Black Flag (PML- Black Brant X), but the rocket gremlins got to it and caused me a big problem. There were some structural integrity issues that I noticed when I was on the launch pad so I didn't feel to comfortable in launching it. Believe me, I really wanted to but decided against it because it would have been fatal (for the rocket). Once apart, I was heartbroken as to some key components were broken. Therefore Black Flag will have to wait for some repairs and some major design changes before flying. Back to the drawing board.

Since I had the motor already prepped for Black Flag, I decided to use it in Shiloh (PML-Sudden Rush). Shiloh is a much smaller rocket than Black Flag and although it would take a Loki J-525 Motor, I wasn't sure if it could handle it. I decided to go for it. The flight was spectacular, however she flew into the clouds and from there we lost sight of it. We searched for a couple of hours before I finally gave up on finding it. But, as luck would have it, I stumbled upon it as I was walking back to my truck. I checked the electronics and it was beeping 7,815 feet. That is the highest I've ever gone. Actually, more than 3 times the height of my previous record of 2400 feet. I was happy that I got that high and I was also happy that I found the rocket.

Sunday was a disaster. I wasn't able to Vinny's Nike Smoke to light and fly. Then, when I flew Miss Sweden, she had a spectacular flight but nose dived straight into the ground. Stupid Me forgot the ejection charge. Well, she can be rebuilt and I already started working on that.

Thats all for now.

No comments: